Web Content Display Web Content Display

What is a Donor-Advised Fund?

A donor-advised fund enables donors to make charitable donations to multiple organizations, including the University of Nebraska. Many loyal donors regard the University of Nebraska as their primary charity but would also like to support other worthwhile causes in their communities and across the country. A donor-advised fund is a simple but flexible way to allow donors to support the University of Nebraska and other public charities. A donor-advised fund can also help donors maximize their tax benefits.

How does it work?

You make an irrevocable gift of $250,000 or more to establish an endowed fund or $50,000 or more to establish an expendable fund. With an endowed fund, your gift is invested and the annual net income is available for distribution to the University of Nebraska and other public charities. With expendable funds, your gift is held in a money market account with the entire amount available for distribution to the University of Nebraska or other public charities. In either case you may make grant recommendations of at least $1,000 at any time, with at least 50 percent of the original gift amount distributed to benefit the university.

Benefits include:

  • An immediate charitable income tax deduction, including a full fair market value deduction on gifts of long-term capital gain property.
  • The flexibility to make gift recommendations now and in the future.
  • A professional staff to assist you in many ways, including handling all administrative responsibilities and providing detailed reports regarding the status of your fund.
  • The opportunity to include your family in your philanthropy by naming a successor advisor to recommend distributions.
  • Investment management team experience from the University of Nebraska Foundation's professional staff


Getting started

To establish a donor-advised fund just call us at 800-432-3216 or contact us online.


Transferring funds

If you'd like to transfer funds from your donor advised fund to another foundation fund, please fill out this form.