Fire at UNO displaces students, destroys belongings
Posted: jue, feb 27, 2014
On Wednesday a two-alarm fire displaced 42 University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) students and severely damaged the residence hall they call home.
The fire in the Scott Village building on UNO's south campus caused the residence hall's roof to collapse and left heavy smoke and water damage.
The building's residents include undergraduate and graduate students, some of whom are international students. None of the students were injured.
While all of the displaced students found housing accommodations by Wednesday evening, many lost valuable possessions, including textbooks, laptops, mobile phones and other personal belongings.
The University of Nebraska Foundation currently is accepting donations to help these students in replacing items lost in the fire. Gifts can be made online or by check made payable to the University of Nebraska Foundation. Please include UNO Scott Village Emergency Fund on the memo line. Checks should be mailed to the University of Nebraska Foundation, P.O. Box 3465, Omaha, NE 68103-0465. For more information call 402-502-0300 or 800-432-3216.