Celebrating ‘80 Years of Purpose’ with universitywide service day June 3
Posted: Tue, May 31, 2016
Employees of the University of Nebraska Foundation are participating in a day of service on each campus of the University of Nebraska on June 3 to kick off its Eighty Years of Purpose (#80YearsofPurpose) celebration.
The service helps to recognize the foundation’s 80th anniversary that day as well as the service it and many generous donors have provided to the university over the past eight decades.
More than 120 foundation employees will provide various help to about 20 different university affiliates and organizations that day, with projects and activities that include cleaning, landscaping, painting, organizing, making rugs and blankets for people in need and much more.
These are some of the university entities receiving service on June 3:
University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Big Blue Cupboard—helping students with food insecurities.
- G.W. Frank Museum of History and Culture—cleaning and organizing assistance.
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center—making rugs for Habitat for Humanity of Omaha and making blankets for the Omaha and Council Bluffs chapter of Project Linus, helping children in need.
University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Munroe-Meyer Institute—painting, weeding, mulching and cleaning playground and game room areas.
- 2016 “Finding A Cure” Cattlemen’s Ball—event setup and organization in Lincoln.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Ruth Staples Child Development Lab
- UNL Children’s Center
- East Campus Student Recreation Center
- University of Nebraska State Museum
- Larsen Tractor Test and Power Museum
- Charles E. Bessey Herbarium, Nebraska Hall
- Division of Zoology, Nebraska Hall
- College of Journalism and Mass Communications
- International Quilt Study Center and Museum
- Nebraska 4-H
- Nebraska Union
- Wick Alumni Center
- Husker Cats program
Brief history of the university and its foundation
The University of Nebraska was founded on Feb. 15, 1869, less than two years after Nebraska became the nation’s 37th state, and is the state’s only public university. Founded in Lincoln, the university included a medical center in Omaha beginning in 1902.
The University of Nebraska Foundation was established on June 3, 1936, as a private, nonprofit organization to serve the university system. Edgar A. Burnett, then chancellor of the university, encouraged state business and civic leaders help establish the foundation, which would carry out the work of soliciting private support to help sustain a level of academic excellence at the university that would not be possible through state funding alone.
The University of Nebraska was reorganized under a 1968 act of the Nebraska Legislature. The legislation provided for the addition of the University of Nebraska at Omaha (formerly the municipal University of Omaha) and designated the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of Nebraska Medical Center as separate campuses.
In 1991, the University of Nebraska at Kearney (formerly Kearney State College) became a campus of the university, and in the following year its charitable foundation merged with the University of Nebraska Foundation.
The foundation has offices in Kearney, Lincoln and Omaha.