What is NU Donor Select?
The UNF Charitable Gift Fund, also known as NU Donor Select, was established in 2003 as an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit that enables donors to make charitable donations to multiple organizations, including the University of Nebraska.
Through NU Donor Select, you can establish a donor advised fund, a giving vehicle that allows you to make charitable donations to multiple organizations. Or you may support any one of our established funds that support various projects that involve the University of Nebraska, such as the Lincoln Haymarket Arena Fund.
Many loyal donors regard the University of Nebraska as their primary charity while also supporting other worthwhile causes in their communities and across the country. NU Donor Select provides a simple and flexible way for them to support the University of Nebraska and other public charities. When you establish a donor advised fund with NU Donor Select, you maximize your tax benefits, enhance the value of your gift, and extend your charitable legacy throughout your lifetime and beyond.
How does it work?
You make an irrevocable gift of $250,000 or more to establish an endowed donor advised fund. NU Donor Select invests your donation, and the annual net income is available for distribution to the University of Nebraska and other public charities. Or you can make an irrevocable gift of $50,000 or more to establish an expendable donor advised fund. These funds are held in a money market account with the entire amount available for distribution to the University of Nebraska or other public charities. In either case you may make grant recommendations of at least $1,000 at any time, with at least 50 percent of the original gift amount distributed to benefit the university.
- An immediate charitable income tax deduction, including a full fair market value deduction on gifts of long-term capital gain property.
- The flexibility to make gift recommendations now and in the future.
- A professional staff to assist you in many ways, including handling all administrative responsibilities and providing detailed reports regarding the status of your fund.
- The opportunity to include your family in your philanthropy by naming a successor advisor to recommend distributions.
- Investment management team experience from the University of Nebraska Foundation’s professional staff.
Establishing a donor advised fund at NU Donor Select is easy. Just contact Tracy Edgerton in our strategic philanthropy department at the University of Nebraska Foundation at 800-432-3216, or directly at 402-458-1160.